About Susanne Gustin Attorney at Law
Meet Susanne Gustin
Susanne Gustin has 30 years of experience as a criminal defense lawyer in Utah. She focuses her law practice on defending those facing the most serious criminal charges, in particular sex offenses..
Gustin has handled a number of high-profile cases, including the nationally high-profile case involving Dr. Martin J. MacNeill, which was featured on Dateline and 20/20. Dr. MacNeill was tried for murdering his wife after she was found dead in the bathtub of the couple’s master suite bedroom after she had undergone facelift surgery. In State v. Bell, Gustin obtained an acquittal for David James Bell who was facing 30 years-to-life in prison for kidnapping the neighborhood children. The defense was that this was a hate crime, involving the brutal beating of Bell and his partner who are gay. In State v. Charleston, Gustin secured the dismissal of manslaughter charges at the preliminary hearing for a former Marine who was charged with the shooting death of his brother while both were camping at Yuba Lake. Susanne Gustin has also handled the defense of David O. Kingston, a polygamist who had an unlawful sexual relationship with his niece.
Learn More About Susanne Gustin’s Background
Susanne grew up in Salt Lake City, Utah skiing, swimming and playing soccer on the states first girls’ soccer team. Gustin was a Utah State Bar Commissioner from 2013 to 2016. She previously served as the president of the Utah Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers in 2002, and president of the exclusive, invitation-only David K. Watkiss-Sutherland II Inns of Court in 2012.
Susanne has recieved an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell* and was named to Utah Business Magazine’s list of “Best Criminal Defense Attorneys” in Utah.
My Pledge To You
Should you choose to hire me as your lawyer, here is what I pledge to you:
- Easy access — I am very easy to reach and give my clients my cellphone number.
- No-nonsense advice — I am honest and upfront and will not make promises I cannot keep. Issues will not be sugarcoated.
- Caring defense — I have seen how traumatic a serious charge can be and I will not add to the drama in your life. Expect to find a compassionate approach that takes your feelings into account as seriously as your criminal charges.
- Tough when it counts — I am an aggressive advocate for my clients and a skilled litigator in the courtroom.
- Innovation — With strategies and a well-prepared defense that will work for you, I am always seeking an outcome that is best for your family’s emotional and economic needs.
If you have been charged with a serious crime, you need a defense attorney who can represent you skillfully in negotiations and in court.
Contact me directly at my law office right away.
*AV®, and AV Preeminent® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general practice standards.